REPRODUCTION OF MECHANISMS

Reproduction of mechanisms changes to technology has vastly affected all aspects of life from how we lived in the past to how today’s society lives; for example, when one needed to know information, it came by “word of mouth.”

Even telling time of day was done by looking at your shadow and measuring how far it falls behind the body while the sun is up.

The evolution of mechanisms has reshaped the world significantly as technology changes how society lives, learns, works, and travels.

Now one can sit and watch what is going on worldwide without moving; the digital world makes it possible.

Japan is known for the rapid advance in technology after the second world war; the advancement in electronic example vehicles, robotics, video games medical devices are some of the few developments in technology.

People develop talent and education to aid them in operating the impact of the changes.

Society can now use the digital system to do everything. The internet provides us with all the information ready at hand with just one click away.

For a computer, this device has come a long way from occupying a room because of its enormous size to the extent that it can be carried around with one hand and fit on one’s lap.

Society can always stay in touch with family, friends, and work no matter their location, and you can still communicate instantly. People can now explore these changes in the digital world, from a house phone to smartphones from computers to tablets.

Technology connectivity aids us to do many things anytime, anywhere. It helps us to do online and banking shopping. Digital technology makes it possible always to have ready access to information.

To compare changes of current technology and its uses by how it has been in the past. The digital system has vastly changed how we live today.

Below is a picture of the first computer and is the massive size in comparison to

A laptop that is much smaller in size and has more capabilities.

In the earliest time, before electromagnetic telephones came about, mechanical and acoustic devices were used for transmitting speech and music.

This device was based on sound transmission. The sound was transmitted by mechanical vibration.

Things and time moved quickly, the digital world exploded, and the telephone emerged to a successive improvement—the idea to communicate electronically with the invention of cell phones.

They have given credits for another successful vision with a mooted idea of mechanical reproduction.

Blog Post 8

I will be writing about the effect of spatial arrangement and disembodiment on choreography using immersive and interactive computer technologies. It is said that technology in music significantly influences the perception of sound by a dancer due to the principles of time and space in choreography. I say, spatial arrangement and disembodiment should focus on direction of the dancer, proximity, rotation and speed. Music in the contemporary has undergone massive transformation amid the introduction of three-dimensional data methodologies. When music is played, it creates various sensual and tactile experiences. Now through the development of three-dimensional technologies, this has aimed at creating sensorial, sensual, sensible, and sensitive procedures. Hence, these new technologies’ spatial arrangement and disembodiments have contributed to varied impacts on choreography.

However, there can be a case made that other aspects such as the direction of the dancer, proximity, rotation, and speed can affect the spatial arrangement and disembodiment on choreography.This includes how a dancer manipulates sound effect parameters during dancing/performance. For instance, unexpected changes in sound can contribute to movement improvisation by the dancer.Traditionally, sound/music directs and motivates the movement phrases embraced by a dancer. Through a systemic review of extant literature, research will establish how spatial arrangement and disembodiment by the new technologies influence choreography.

paper prompt #2 I.N

Ismanol Noesi

The extinction of natural sounds

In the latest decades, the use of headphones and boomboxes have contributed to noise pollution and also have deprived some public spaces in parks that were good to enjoy natural sounds. Noise pollution is very present in NYC’s quotidian life. Looking back to the 80’s 90’s, Krokouski describes how  downtown used to be the same noise pollution because of the cars’ klaxon, amulace’s sound, people screaming and so forth. But the difference from today is that in public parks people used to get the sound of the natural world in public parks. Meanwhile, people nowadays have headphones and do not enjoy those incredible sounds. Indeed, when they go there and do BBQ, they won’t be listening to the  environment’s sound, thus they use boomboxes to party.

Knowing what’s happening at least in latinos area parks, I have the idea that in my area I don’t have any free space to enjoy natural sound. I am referring to Latinos community because that’s where I live and because I haven’t been in other neighborhoods in New York, thus I just have the knowledge of my community and environment around me. Last time I remembered listening to a great natural sound was in Poconos environmental education. 

Noise pollution has become something normal in my life, I even can say that I don’t feel very comfortable when everything is so quiet. Sometimes when I lay in my bed, I start thinking foolish things, I know that it’s the birth of silence. Meanwhile when I read I used to play symphony or soft music because I feel more comfortable like that, the same happens when I am going to take a shower or do  any shore. Therefore, the boom boxes have an important role in my quotidian life but I really don’t agree too much with the noise pollution in Public spaces.

In the episode krokowski clearly talks about those sounds around the city. It’s like being forced to hear everything because he had to stay with the window open. After being used to something it is not easy to forget it, maybe that’s why when I am soundless I don’t feel very comfortable but sometimes I like to get to some soundless place.

The problem is that you can’t not apply a rule in parks, like banned music from speakers because maybe you are violating those rights for the people  because they are in a free area. The thing is that we have a lot of freedom in New York but nobody wants to be in a place without freedom. But in life we always face change and speakers and headphones will give us a great thing but will get many things away from us, and that’s why to me it’s important to keep natural sound alive.

End of Semester Reminders

Hi all,

I wanted to send a list of reminders about upcoming tasks regarding the course:

1. Paper 2 is technically due today. But, if you need more time you can have until next week by Tuesday 11/30. The link to where you should upload your paper is on the assignment page on our course site.

2. COIL: Remember you should post at least 10 comments in the #discussion-of-the-essay thread on Slack. Here is the link to the project page.

3. Meeting with mePlease sign up for a time to meet with me to discuss your work in the class.

4. You can find the link for the last paper here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!

PF

Blog Post 7

What Krukowski means by “the marginal-the rejected-the repressed-is whatever the powerful have decided is of no use at the moment.” is that the powerful decide what is important and what is not. He is trying to put significance on the marginalized. Music indicates the differences between the powerful and the marginalized because they both think of music in different ways. They could think of music as negatively or positively. The distinctions Krukowski makes between being surprised by music and discovering music is that you feel different from each. The differences he describes are that surprise is not that helpful and that discovering is based on what we like. The music listening experiences enabled by Forced Exposure are different from platforms like Spotify because there is an algorithm in Spotify. Spotify will show you music similar to what you often listen to because of the algorithm.

blog post 6

In “Living with Music”, Ralph Ellison describes how music affects his living experience in his New York City apartment building in many ways. He describes many things related to the noise he hears around him. His apartment is surrounded by many different noises like the cats and dogs or the singer who lived above him. He describes some of his experiences as positive and some of them as negative.

In the first sentence when he says “In those days it was either live with music or die with noise…” he means they had to live with all the sounds around his apartment. He described how he tried many things like audio equipment to prevent the noise. He chose to desperately live instead.

There are many comparisons between Ellison’s essay and episode 2 of Damon Krukowski’s Ways of hearing. Both described the noises they hear around them. They also talked about experiences in New York. They both talked about sound and noise that added to their experience in New York.

Blog Post 5

I feel that “hearing” and “listening” are two different things. You can hear many things without paying attention. When you are listening you are focusing and thinking about the topic. We do make choices about what we listen to. When we listen to things we are choosing to listen to it. We make these choices by considering what is important to listen to and what is not. The criteria we use is how helpful the information that we listen to would be. Structural features could also play part in how we listen to things. We might want to listen to specific things that we feel matter more.

Schafer and Krukowski discuss the relationship between sound and space in many ways. They explain we use our hearing to locate sounds around us. They also talk about how New York has been getting gentrified. Many people contributed to the space taken in New York from gentrification. They talk about how inside and outdoors sounds are different. Ear buds also amplify sounds for us. They say ear buds are like a dream of the sounds we hear.