Prompt for Blog Post #5

1. What do you take the differences between “hearing” and “listening” to be? Do we make choices about what we listen to? If so, how do we make these choices? What criteria do we use? Do structural features, such as race, gender, or social class, inform how we listen? How so? Are there other structural elements that affect our listening experiences?
  2. How do Schafer and Krukowski discuss the relationship between sound and space?

2 thoughts on “Prompt for Blog Post #5

1. Taron Lewis (He/him)

Taron Lewis

Hearing is something that people hear a car alarm or plane and or someone yelling, listening is just something that people do when they are listening to someone talking to him or her. We make choices to listen to someone or just hear what they are saying and for me, I rather listen to what the person is saying to me rather than just hear them. People who are of different races, gender, and social class can be listened to or rather just hear them out and I think I rather hear them out so that I can know what they are talking about and help them. When I hear elements I can tell that would mean you hear fire and the sound of water and also the wind blowing and when you are stepping on the earth meaning the ground you hear and listen to the steps you make.

I think what they meant for sounds and space meant that when you have enough space you can hear far away voices and noises from a city or anywhere else.

2. Angel Ciuro Jr

We as people, will in general isolate ourselves from something we would prefer not to be bothered with. This perspective can be evidently seen in New York City. You will see individuals in route to work, school ,etc. Then, at that point, you will see the disconnection that individuals have from the remainder of the city. Krukowski’s point about the utilization of earbuds is a phenomenal model. We eliminate ourselves deliberately from the rest of the world by gazing into our phones and/or having earbuds. Krukowski says “avoiding ear contact”. I agree with such statement hence when I put my AirPods on, I don’t feel obligated to communicate with anybody which gives me the power to speak nd listen to whomever.