Blog Post #6

Ralph Ellison describes he is observant of those who live near him but he hears them more than visually seeing them. He explains how hearing sounds strengthens his sense of place in his community. The difference between noise and music is people who listen to sound as noise listen differently and as more of a disturbance or miserable compared to music which is more ambient and pleasurable. I think a good comparison between both essays would be how both choose how or what they listen to. They both listen to their surroundings whether that Ellison in his apartment building or Krukowski on a walk.

2 thoughts on “Blog Post #6

1. Phornnaphat Nilkamhaeng

I like when you said a good comparison between both essays would be how both choose how or what they listen to. And, I totally agree with it. As human beings, we need to choose what kind of sound we want to listen to. Otherwise, we will end up having overwhelmed feelings because of a ton of unpleasant sounds.

2. Paul Fess

Gabriella, you bring up an interesting point of connection between these two pieces. I’m wondering if you could take this a bit further. What do you make of this connection?